One of my go to recipes when I want something healthy and filling is this super yummy recipe from healthful pursuit which is kale and sweet potatoes and chickpeas all mixed together with peanut sauce mmm.. (which can be found here: www.healthfulpursuit.com/2012/02/eating-bird-food-kale-chickpea-and-sweet-potato-bowls/) So today I had sweet potatoes and kale and I was pretty hungry at lunch so of course I thought of this! But I accidentally bought twice the amount of chicken thighs I needed for the week (the same weight of boneless thighs as bone in ones is a LOT more meat!) so I have a absolute ton of them. Plus I’m trying to be good and not eat peanuts right now as they apparently increase inflammation and I’m trying to avoid things that do. So I decided to play with the recipe a bit and see what came out.. and I actually really like the result!
Hearty Kale Salad
1) Mix sauce
2) Throw all ingredients together in a bowl and toss with sauce
you’re done! If you have pre-baked chicken and potatoes (something I started doing since they take a bit longer to cook – once a week just throw a bunch of potatoes or chicken in the oven and you’re good for the week!) it takes about 5 minutes, how can you beat that?!
This is one of my favorite lunches, and it’s one of those super customizable ones, you can use any veggies you want, use mayo, don’t use mayo it’s up to you!
1) Mostly drain tuna – leave a little juice for mixing with
2) Mix tuna, tahini, turmeric, apple cider vinegar, mayo, lemon and avocado
3) Place arugula on a plate, layer on carrot and cucumber (and any other veggies you want) and top with tuna mixture.
It’s summer! And it’s hot and humid and sticky and the last thing I want to do is spend time in the kitchen. So one afternoon of not wanting to cook lead to the realization that the only protein in the apartment was canned crab meat, so crab cakes it was! They’re super simple, super quick, and super yummy, and with the pickles and mayo in the cake you don’t need any sauce!
Summer Time Crab Cakes (Serves 2)
1) Mix everything but the coconut oil in a lg mixing bowl
2) Heat the oil in a skillet over med heat
3) Form into patties and fry for a couple minutes each side (until golden brown)